Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) Members
Disability Assistance has represented over 1,600 individuals who have received disability pension benefits, and has secured hundreds of pensions from OPERS.
About the OPERS Disability Pension Application Process:
- There are different rules for disability pension benefits based on when a worker began paying into the OPERS system.
- An individual that receives disability pension benefits from OPERS is permitted to work another job and earn money in addition to his or her pension. There are strict rules, however, regarding the type of job that the individual may work.
- Between 2004 and 2008, OPERS approved only 67% of the disability pension applications it received (Source: OPERS 2009 Disability Report). It is estimated that more than 95% of the applicants whose benefits were denied did not hire a professional to assist them with the application process.
- Conditions that are the basis for a disability pension may be psychological as well as physical.
- Disability pensions may be awarded for injuries or disabling conditions occurring off of the job as well as on the job.